Thursday, July 18, 2013

Guest Post, Cindy J. Smith

Let's say hi to Cindy, my first poet...

What are your greatest challenges in your writing career? 

My biggest challenge is actually sharing my poems. It is something I never thought I would do. They are all a part of me and I find it hard to believe anyone is interested in reading them.
When did you find out that you wanted to be a writer? What inspired you to put pen to paper?
I have written verse as far back as I can remember. I loved adding to the silly songs my sister's taught me, and songs are just poems put to music.
Anyone who learned to read with "Dick and Jane" books can understand the freedom I found in writing in rhyme like Dr. Seuss and Mother Goose!
I wrote what I thought about everything. It was my way of dealing with things. I was strictly raised: 1) The real Golden Rule is a law!, 2) If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all, and 3) Thinking is as big a sin as doing. Because of these rules, I kept all my writing hidden, sisters are great blackmailers!
How much of your life and the people you know end up in your work? 
Just about every poem I have written is based on my life in some way. I have either felt, done or observed it all.
Tell us about a real person who has had a lot of input to your work, someone who inspired you or encouraged you, or even discouraged you and you have to prove them wrong. 
My daughter, Jasmine. She loved my poetry and was constantly trying to get me to share it with everyone. She loved to challenge me by suggesting topics. I also enjoyed trying to write poems so she could see the world as I saw it. After she passed, I decided to publish to fulfill her dream of seeing my work in print.
What projects are you currently working on? Are you willing to share a small excerpt from a work in progress?
I will be releasing a second book of poems, They Won't Shut Up on July 13. It is being published by CH&BB and I am so excited! This is one of the poems in the collection:

RED TAILLIGHTS
As yelled arrows
Go find their marks
Love deep and strong
Seeps from our hearts
Sit on the porch
You pack the car
Wonder just how
We got this far
We tried so hard
To no avail
At "Love Always"
We have both failed
Saw it coming
I must admit
But, still believed
We would not quit
Clouds and my eyes
Mingle silent tears
Recall lost joy
Of these past years
It's for the best
We do agree
Vows once given
Not meant to be
Final goodbye
You turn and leave
I'm left alone
To think and grieve
Now all that's left
Of love so bright
Is fading gleam
Of red taillights
Is there a character or story that's stuck in your head and won't leave, from either your work or someone else's? 
I have never been able to get Rime of the Ancient Mariner out of my head. That poem does something to me!
What writers or novels do you consider “must reads”? 
Before I became acquainted with Indie authors, I would have answered this question Anne Rice and Stephen King. Now, I find that I am enthralled by all the different styles of writing I have been exposed to recently.
Talk to us about your domestic life; a favorite recipe, craft, your pets, children, house, or favorite set of socks.
Domestic life does not really exist for me at this time, I am rarely home. However my favorite recipe is City Chicken, it is a meal my mom used to make all the time and actually contains no chicken at all..
City Chicken
Roast Beef or Round Steak (I use round steak)
Roast Pork or pork tenderloin (I use tenderloin)
4 cubes of beef and chicken boullion
8 cups water (enough to cover meat, can use stock instead of boulion and water)
Bread crumbs
Eggs
Milk
butter
mushrooms (optional)
6 inch bamboo skewers
Cube beef and pork into 1 inch chunks. Alternate the chunks on the skewers to get tree of each on a skewer.
Whisk eggs and some milk to make a dip and dip the skewered meat coating fully.
Roll skewers in bread crumbs.
In frying pan, melt butter. Brown the breaded meat skewers.
When all is nicely browned, cover with water and add the boullion (or cover with combined beef and chicken stock).
Add sliced mushrooms.
Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes.
You can thicken the gravy when it is done if you wish.
Serve over rice or noodles.
So, thanks to Cindy for being here today... I don't know about you, but that recipe sounds great! I will have to try it. It's really been great having a poet here. I work a lot with storytellers and the sorts of things that apply to them - character names, grammar issues, etc, don't really work too well for poets. I've never really attempted poetry, so this was fascinating. I hope you enjoyed having Cindy here with us today, and check out her work!

No comments:

Post a Comment