Thursday, June 13, 2013

Guest Author, Julieanna Lynch

What are your greatest challenges in your writing career?

I find it hard to stay focused on deadlines and can easily be distracted by ridiculous things, like Facebook, Twitter, and Googling my name (yes, we are all guilty of that one), but more than anything it is finding a happy balance between work and promotion. As you can well imagine being an Indie author gives you a whole different set of responsibilities when it comes to promoting your work. You rely solely on the discretion and interest of fellow Indie authors, as well as trying to reach out to "mainstream" readers. However, I try not to think about that side of things too much and place all my energies in my work, and basically "honk my own horn" when time is my friend.

When did you find out that you wanted to be a writer? What inspired you to put pen to paper?

I always new I wanted to work in the arts, whether that was singing, performing, drawing or writing. I've always been creative, and fell in love with poetry and art from a very young age. When most of my peers were out tasting their first drop of liquor, I was reading Dickens, Keats and King, when they were going on dates, I was hell bent on going to museums. I was different, and whilst I at times despised myself, in hindsight I am so thankful for being unique - it's paved the way for my future.

What truly inspired me to write was my experience of bullying and depression. I found writing down my deepest, darkest thoughts therapeutic. I was a terribly lonely, troubled teen, but it was writing that cured the momentary pain or anguish I felt, so from there on in, my confidence in my chosen profession grew, and haven't looked back since.

Of your published works, do you have a favorite? Why?

I just can't help but feel completely passionate about Within the Shadows. She was a learning curve for me. She embodies everything that I've gone through to get from A -B, having hit QUITE a few bumps along the way. I love Giselle, I love how she has grown, and whilst there are those who have taken a dislike to her, I cannot help but feel very protective of her. To me she is perfect, and yes she can be annoying and extremely whiny, but aren't most 18 yr olds? They aren't all born with a steel backbone and know how to kick ass straight from the start.

How much of your life and the people you know end up in your work?

I like to people watch and I am very guilty of note taking when out and about.

What's your writing routine?

Since the birth of my baby Poppy in March 2012, my whole writing routine has gone out the window. Before Poppy, my day consisted of 7-8 hours writing, bagging myself word goals of 8-10k a day, now, I am lucky if I can get to write 3 hours straight. I am just so busy between school runs, nursery runs, and tending to the baby and dog, on top of household chores, that it can be very hard fitting it all in.

Is there a character or story that's stuck in your head and won't leave, from either your work or someone else's?

At the moment my delectable character, Antoine refuses to shut up. Seriously, he is so persistent, that he has bagged himself his own spin off series, and my short story "Bitter Kisses" is based on him as well.

What writers or novels do you consider “must reads”?

Oh I have tons of novels and authors who have entertained me over the years, and ones that I re-read regularly.

Alice Walker's "The Color Purple" should be a book EVERYONE reads. This book conjures up every single human emotion known to man. It is wonderfully written, it is beautifully told, and from a girl who understands the anguish portrayed in the themes of this novel, it is just simply breathtaking.

I also cannot stop talking about Michelle Paver's "Dark Matter" - if you like ghost stories, but one where there is complete isolation and you are left at the mercy of your mind, this book just holds you close, perplexes you into the dark and doesn't release you until the last page. Amazing novel.

There is also the YA novel "Born Dark" by my publishing sister H.G. Lynch - this book is just brilliant, especially from a young girl, and her first publication. The story is well written, interesting, the characters make you laugh, cry and know how to piss you off - everything a novel should possess.

Talk to us about your domestic life: pets, children, house, arts and crafts, favorite recipe...

I am the mother of five children: 16, 12, 7, 3 & 1- I am married to my childhood sweetheart, Sean, who just happened to be my best friends BIG brother. We have one dog, Buster, who will be a year old in May.

We live in a pretty big 6 bedroom detached house. It's lovely, comfy and very homely, but I am a neat freak!
I love trees - not planting them, but canvas art of them. I just find them peaceful, relaxing and make a room very pretty. I am a tree geek.

I love music - like seriously LOVE music. I love going to gigs, finding new Indie bands to listen to and support, and I can't think of anything better than supporting home grown talent. I am obsessed with Chester Bennington from Linkin Park, that man has a voice that just makes my insides melt - wow - yeah, he is perfect.

I am not into crafts, I am too bloody busy to do all that jazz, but do you consider colouring the children's homework, craft?

My favourite recipe has got to be my maltesser cheesecake. I make the best fresh cream cheesecake, and you'd better not be on a diet when eating it, because it would certainly go to your hips.

Ingredients:
Base:
2 packets of digestives broken and crushed
200 grams of melted butter
Filling:
500 mgs of light soft cheese
500 mgs fresh double cream
150 mgs of icing sugar,
1tsp of Vanilla essence
200 grm bag of maltessers

Mix the butter with the crushed biscuits, pop some baking paper in a round baking tray, fold in the mixture, flatten with the back of a spoon and pop inthe fridge to cool.

For the filling combine all the ingredients in a blender, minus the maltessers - and blend until light and fluffy.
Mix in the maltessers with a spoon and then once all mixed, pour into the biscuit base (normally I make enough for two with this recipe)

Chill for a few hours in the fridge, and then voila, chilled cheescake enough to make that ass wiggle.

Tell us three things about you that are interesting.

I know how to sand board - yes, SAND board!

I can drive, but it makes me violently ill each time I sit behind the steering wheel that I no longer drive.

I completed Modern Warfare 2 in 4 hours! (I like gaming)


Fiery Librarian Julieanne Lynch is an author of urban fantasy books for both adults and teens. Julieanne lives in Northern Ireland, where she works on her Shadows Trilogy and other series full-time. Before becoming a writer, she considered a few different career paths, a rock star being one of them. She studied English Literature and Creative Writing at The Open University, and considered journalism as a career path. However, she decided writing was the way for her and believes all of her education and reading prepared her for it. An avid reader, Julieanne has always had an encompassing fascination with folklore. When not writing, she enjoys crime series such as Criminal Minds, CSI, NCIS and Cold Case, and loves anything with Vampires, listening to metal, meeting new people, drinking lots of green tea, and sharing her dreams with her children. She is a self-professed Goth wanna-be, and is happy when left to write into the early hours of the morning.

Julieanne also writes under the pen name J.A. Lynch Julieanne's YA series, The Shadows Trilogy, is published by Vamptasy Publishing and thus far contains In the Shadows. It follows the war between vampires and shadow creatures. Giselle Bergman, an 18-year old human girl, falls victim to a scheme by one of her closest childhood friends, and embarks on a journey that sees her become the center of a battle between good and evil.

Author Page
Blog
Website
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Goodreads
Google +

1 comment: