Thursday, January 24, 2013

Guest Post: Sommer Marsden




Bio and Pic shamelessly swiped from her website
Sommer Marsden’s been called “…one of the top storytellers in the erotica genre” (Violet Blue), “Unapologetic” (Alison Tyler), “…the whirling dervish of erotica” (Craig J. Sorensen),and "Erotica royalty..." (Lucy Felthouse for Blog Critics Books).


Her erotic novels include Restless Spirit, Big Bad, Angry Sex, and Hard Lessons. Sommer currently writes erotica and erotic romance for Xcite Books, eXcessica, Ellora's Cave, Pretty Things Press, Resplendence Publishing and Mischief Books. The wine-swigging, dachshund-owning, wannabe runner author writes work that runs the gamut from bondage to zombies to humor.

Sommer's short works can be found in well over one hundred (and counting) erotic anthologies. Her short stories have also been included numerous adult and romance magazines--both in print and online.



Now, my person first experience with Sommer was this... not exactly an endearing first moment. (I originally didn't post her name in connotation with the entry because I was afraid she would think I was a complete spaz. I am. But now, knowing her quite a bit better, I'm thinking she'll probably get a bit of a laugh out of it. I admit to being the tiniest bit jealous that my husband will read her erotica, but not mine. Ack vell...)

So, that particular story was actually On the Fly and I submitted it for a newbie anthology that ended up getting cancelled in an "overabundance of real life." I know how that goes. I was assured by Sommer that, had the antho actually gone through to completion, I was in her "yes" pile. I submitted the story elsewhere and it was picked up immediately. And now... well, now I don't count as a newbie anymore, do I?

Last year, I got the opportunity to work with Sommer on a different collection, and I jumped at it. Pleased to say that Coming Together: Hungry for Love was a great collection, and I'm thrilled to be in it.
Yes, I'm in this


So, enough about me, let's talk to Sommer, shall we?

What are your greatest challenges in your writing career?

The chatter in my head. The voice that tells me I'm not good enough, not fast enough, not doing enough and not as good as so-and-so. I think we all have one, but mine is a real bastard. Getting him to shut up is a real feat.

When did you find out that you wanted to be a writer? What inspired you to put pen to paper?

I've always known. The first Winnie the Pooh story had me sold on the magic of story telling. I've never wanted to be anything else.

Of your published works, do you have a favorite? Why?

Wanderlust. I wrote it as an experiment. I wanted to see if I could live-write it and if folks would show up daily to read it. It ended up being the longest novel I've ever written and the answers to those questions were yes and yes. Yes, I could. And yes, folks showed up every day like the sun.

What are your biggest pet peeves for other people's grammar? Are there any mistakes that you find yourself making regularly?

I always get flummoxed by lay/lie etc. Otherwise I'm usually good. However, my brain often supplies to me what I meant instead of what I put on paper so I either have to proof aloud or I have to put something aside for a long period to spot my common errors. My nemesis is the comma. I often feel like I'm throwing them up in the air and letting them fall where they may. But I plod on despite this character flaw.

Do you ever want to go back and edit an older story? 

Almost always. It's why I rarely read my work once it's published.

How do you decide on character names?

Randomly. I will either glance around and find names on newspapers, books or even the TV or, since my family is used to my insanity, I just might yell, "I need a name!" The response will be, "Boy or girl? Fantasy or reality? Is this a main character?" Or similar.

What's the worst thing that ever happened to you that you've incorporated into a story?

My son had some health issues that were staggering and scary to me. I've never felt more helpless. I funneled those emotions into my book Angry Sex. My emotions at the time are clear in that book. The worry and frustration.

How much of your life and the people you know end up in your work?

A good amount but in small doses. So in a short story there might be a smidge of reality. In the next there might be a lot. In a book it could be a single line or half the content. It all depends and there's no rhyme or reason to it. I just go with the flow.

What projects are you currently working on?

I just started a new novella yesterday. I just wrote three short, fun, sex filled pieces as another persona. This thing came out of the blue and it's a bit darker, a bit more emotional and a bit more erotic instead of erotic romance. I'm excited about it. Sometimes the surprise projects are the best!


Sommer's work space
What's your writing routine?

Lately it's changed. A year ago my son started homeschooling. I used to have 8 blissful hours of uninterrupted alone time to work as I wanted. I had to reroute my brain. I usually get up, have coffee, get girl child off to school, come home, have a second cup and at 8 a.m. I attempt a 1k/1hr sprint. That way I know I've at least managed a chunk of work whatever the rest of the day turns out to be. I often get more writing time later in the day (or sneak some in in the evening) but sometimes I don't. So that 1k/1hr (it usually ends up to be between 2,000-2,500 words in that sprint) guarantees I get words on the page every day.

Is there a character or story that's stuck in your head and won't leave, from either your work or someone else's?

Ellis Bach, my werewolf extraordinaire, took a hell of a long time to vacate my brain after I finished the Big Bad/Long Lost books. And my zombie exterminators hang out and crop up to talk to me from time to time. So much so that I plan to write book #4 this year. As for other book characters, I must say I adore the whole crew in Janet Evanovich's books. I've been reading them so long they feel like family when I crack the current novel open. Repairman Jack from F. Paul Wilson's books is also a long time, close personal fictional friend of mine.

What writers or novels do you consider “must reads”?

Janet Evanovich, F. Paul Wilson, Gillian Flynn, Chuck Palahniuk, Stephen King, Richard Kadrey, and more I can't remember!


1 comment:

  1. Always love learning something new about a favourite author. And of course meeting new friends! Lynn, very nice to meet you. Love the set-up here. And I did love your story in Hungry for Love.

    Cheers to the upcoming weekend ladies!

    ReplyDelete