Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Projected

New Anthology Call:

Title: Shifting Steam
Genre: M/m steampunk shapeshifters
Word count: 5-10K words
Rights: first Electronic and print rights
Payments: $50 plus print trib
Publishing: October 2011
Deadline: August 10, 2011

So, that's what I'm working on now...

The idea being that two stories in the same (ish) genre, released by two different publishers, will net me a wider audience. That's the hope, at any rate.

Right now, I'm working on fleshing out the characters and the basic plot. I need to keep an eye on my word count, obviously. There's a lot of room to play with this project idea, and I need to make sure that I don't get overly ambitious. 10k words is a good deal more than I've been working with most recently (my last two submissions were 2k - 4.5k words, or a little less than half this length.) Golden Moments was 3,337 words and my first draft of Jackie and the Beanstalk (I really do need a better working title than that...) was just 2,981.

In case you're unaware, a printed page is ~500 words, give or take. So, a project aimed at 2k - 4.5k words is 4 to 9 pages.

This new project, being twice that, is an estimated 10 - 20 pages.


I'm also looking at another submissions call, the story due July 15th. That's a LOT more open, as there's no min or max word count... I haven't decided yet whether or not I plan to spend any time on that. It's not a paid submission, more an "equal share" of profits... as an independent publisher. I'm dubious, but we'll see. I have an idea, so if Shifting Steam goes well or quickly (or not at all!) then I may turn my attention to that.

After that, I have my old novel, Marked Man, that I'd like to clean up for potential publication. It's a fantasy romance about a thief and a dragon-slayer who have to team up to save the King; the only problem? The assassin is the dragon-slayer's ex-boyfriend.

So..... I forsee a busy summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment